No sales. Only rent.
From cosy, canal-side studios to fabulous four-bedroom mews houses, Sugar House Island has the perfect home for everyone.
With extra basement storage, a friendly concierge, an onsite convenience store and dedicated residents’ app, life on the Island has been designed around you.
And we’re proud to be pet-friendly, so we’ll even let your four-legged friend come along too
With brilliant views, bold interiors and a buzzing community, Soapbox is the second collection of homes to arrive at
Sugar House Island.
From spacious studios to marvellous mews houses, there’s a home for everyone at Soapbox – even your furry friends!
From studio apartments to four-bedroom mews houses, we have the perfect place for you call home. And we’re proud to be pet-friendly, so we’ll even let your four-legged friend come along too.
Sugar House Island fuses original east London with the delights of the City, inspired by its rich history and unique location.
With creative hubs and quirky homes, flexible office spaces and independent retail all surrounded by parks and waterways, the Island will be a hive of activity, day and night.
At Sugar House Island, there’s a bit of everything on our doorstep. Canal-side and wetland walks, world-class sports facilities, culture, entertainment, and bars and eateries galore.
Throughout history, the watercourses surrounding the island have shaped the industries that operated here. The tidal mills that sit at the south of the Island are mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086, making the River Lea’s mills amongst the earliest tidal mills ever recorded in England. The centre of a large circular economy, the mills generated work for mill operators, carpenters and coopers. Initially providing flour for the local bakers of Stratford, the mills turned to distilling gin in the 18th Century. Mash from the gin was used to feed large farms of pigs whose bones supplied the china factories at Bow, with their fat being used by local soap makers.
From architectural design down to the naming of streets and buildings, Sugar House Island draws inspiration from the area’s heritage at every corner.
From the 1600’s the river supported the textile printing and dye works. The northern part of the Island became a hub for printing, ink and colour-dye innovation in the 19th century. Dane & Co (later The Dane Group of Companies) was a world-leading producer of Day-Glo paints and was in operation here from 1853 until 2005. We remember this important part of heritage in the naming of our norther quarter ‘Dane’s Yard’, and the Dane’s Dog tile mural which has been reinstated on the High Street as part of the new façade of 1 Dane’s Yard.
The Island is named after a striking 19th century five-storey red brick warehouse which still stands on site. The original sugar refinery once stood at the top of Sugar House Lane where it meets the High Street, and was first recorded here in 1843. The building has been restored and reimagined to contain double-height workspaces and residential homes.
Ownership of the Three Mills changed frequently until 1872 when the Nicholson family bought the site. J&W Nicholson & Co was founded in 1736 and was one of the earliest and most famous London distillers. They we’re in operation at Three Mills until 1941 when the mills were damaged during the Blitz; and although distilling stopped from that date, the site continued to be used for bottling and warehousing until the 1990s.
Luke Howard (1772 – 1864), an amateur meteorologist, developed
the naming system for clouds (such as ‘cumulus’ and ‘nimbus’), and lived next to City Mill lock on the Bow Back River to the north
of the Island.
We have created an automatic ranking system for new-build homes in London based on several critical features around the development, like schools, parks, and transport infrastructure.
We have developed this new analytical tool to calculate the scores based on the location data. Note that AutoScore values are not set by us or anyone else – everything happens automatically.
Chimney Walk, the largest phase of commercial at Sugar Island, has just launched.
The phase contains 220,000 sq ft CAT A office space and 23,000 sq ft of ground floor retail, across three prominent buildings.
Offices and retail The buildings sit at the gateway to Sugar House Island, fronting Stratford High Street with the pedestrianised Chimney Walk to their south. The ground floor units will be occupied by a mix of cafés, restaurants, shops and services.
All buildings have private and communal roof terraces for employees to use. State-of-the-art cycle storage and repair facilities encourage green travel to work. Parking and electric vehicle charging points are also available.
Michael Cronin, Head of Portfolio, Vastint UK, commented: "We are thrilled to be launching this next phase of commercial at Sugar House Island following the success of Dane’s Yard, which is now over 90% let or under offer. Chimney Walk has been developed speculatively and will deliver a host of brand-new collaborative workspaces to the east-end property market. We’re excited to see what this next chapter brings for Sugar House Island and its growing community."
Chimney Walk was named after the three restored industrial-era chimneys that line the walkway. They were dismantled during remediation works, with their bricks cleaned in order for them to be re-erected in their original place.
The Three buildings are named Type Building, The Ink House and Colour Works in honour of the print and ink industries which once operated here at Sugar House Island.
Office spaces are available from early 2023. Savills and Compton are appointed office leasing agents.
New mews houses at Soapbox, Sugar House Island’s second release of residential, are now available to rent.
The three and four-bedroom homes span three storeys and feature open plan living and kitchen areas on the ground floor. All mews houses come with private outdoor space either in the form of a balcony or roof terrace, and most have direct access to Soapbox’s serene residents’ courtyards.
All homes are furnished and benefit from complimentary underground storage and friendly concierge service.
An innovative new primary school, School 360, has been completed at Sugar House Island.
Operated by the Big Education Trust, the school will join the sister school, the Ofsted-rated ‘Outstanding’ School 21, in Stratford. The school opens its doors to 26 reception children, aged four and five from the surrounding area.
Developer Vastint UK worked with architects Penoyre & Prasad and contractor Mid Group to deliver a building that supports the school’s unique curriculum which is based on three pillars: developing the head to provide rich knowledge and deep understanding; the heart to focus on well-being and relationships as well as the hands to encourage every child to learn about creativity, problem-solving and the arts.
Our Stamp Duty calculator provides illustrative figures for the Stamp Duty (SDLT) in England and Northern Ireland, a required tax paid on property purchases. Read more about SDLT and how it works.
Leave a request and specialists will select the property